Monday, August 04, 2014

A finish from last month

I have been quilting some this summer, but believe it or not, I have done 4 quilts for a client writing a book which I have to wait an entire year to show!  That hasn't left too much to share here.  I also thought I had pictures from Quilt Odyssey that might have been nice, but they are embedded on my stupid iphone that refuses to sync with the computer.  Somehow emailing them to myself is just too much to do!

This quilt was finished last month before we went on vacation.  It's on the order of 56-60".  The bright solids are just cotton batiks, while the dark fabrics (which there are actually several fabrics ranging from deep navy to black) are a rather heavy broadcloth.  This fabric was challenging at times to get to lay flat, but the client is happy none the less.
 The dark background is quilted with a couple of colors of thread...honestly it has been 2-3 weeks and I have forgotten.  I think part of it is a variegated blue/purple and the rest is in black or deep blue.  I do remember that I originally planned to do some curved cross-hatching in the background but because of the bulky seam intersections, it was difficult and was abandoned.  Free-motioning worked just fine though.
 All points are ditched with clear thread so that the points stay crisp.

My summer holding pattern ends in 3-1/2 weeks.  The kids have been fine most of the summer, but I am getting itchy to get onto some of my lingering projects.  My littlest has finally agreed to a week of Rec camp (hoping she'll see some school friends, and mostly because they go to Aquaboggin!), and the boys will be off with Nana part of that week.  On account of this, I started marking my 40" silk quilt to get started on it.  I'm not entirely sure I have all the thread I need so I better have a look at that situation also! Here's a peek at it unquilted (and taken before I finished the blue dots too).  The quilting transformation is about to occur!...


7 comments:

regan said...

Oooh! I love before-and-afters....can't wait to see it finished! :o)

Debbie said...

Beautiful! Love seeing your work!

Millie said...

Hi Margaret, I have the same problem getting the photos off my phone and onto the computer. Try this, while the phone is connected to the PC. Look in Windows Explorer to see if the phone is being listed as an external hard drive or a flash drive. Usually you can see the folders and what's in them, even if it's just a filename and a date. Then you can either select them and "copy" or "move" them to the appropriate folders on your computer. Much simpler than wrestling with the sync software. Good luck.

You've done a beautiful job on that dark blue quilt. I am sure your silk quilt will be another show-stopping masterpiece.

Vicki W said...

I love the client quilt!

Ann said...

Oh, I admire the way you feathered portions of the dark blue! A lovely touch that add so much motion. Congratulations.

Michele said...

That quilt truly is beautiful. Nicely done.

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

That is so beautiful!! Yes, it's time for a change of seasons in our house too. :)